Thursday, March 31, 2011

Irish chicken, the end of the road?

Last week it was lambs.. now it's chicken. On Tuesday the Irish Times published the investigative piece I wrote on Irish chicken which has certainly excited some debate about what we're eating - debate being the polite word. I suppose strong reaction to any piece of journalism is what you want, and it's good to see that people are engaged with the issue and in some cases, simply frightened about what they're eating. I've had email comments sent on to me from the Times and a few strange phonecalls since the piece came out. One chap who called me this morning had a good old rant but I'm sure it's nothing a bucket of chicken at KFC can't sort out. After all, food and countryside issues often excite slightly over the top reactions. After directing an episode of Ear to the Ground (Ireland's farming programme) on fox hunting some years ago, I was delighted to find I was banned from the entire area of East Galway by the pro hunting lobby while at the same time an animal rights protestor chained himself to the gates of Leinster House. Have a look at the piece and see for yourself. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2011/0329/1224293291679.html I'm off to write my presentation for a food event "For Food's Sake" tonight at The Sugar Club in Dublin. Really looking forward to it - myself, a representative from Bord Bia and the IFA will be presenting ideas and then responding to audience discussion on the future of food and farming. And there'll be artisan foods to sample afterwards... better leave some room in the tummy, though there's not a lot of room in there with an eight month old baby taking up most of the space... Tally ho x

1 comment:

  1. You cannot have it both ways - moan when UK regions sell into your market yet damage our beef and lamb trade at some times of the year by pouring stock into plants inside the UK.
    I eat ham from Limerick in Co Down and then hear my B & B host in Cork complaining about milk from Tyrone being on sale beside her.
    When in London or Glasgow seeing produce from all parts of the UK and RoI on sale is normal, I would expect the same in Dublin or Cork if the Irish are true Europeans!

    Would be far simpler if the British Isles operated as one economic unit, which in fact it is rather than having two national governments, the EU and three devolved pretty useless administrations all making it more difficult to do business.
    That one economic unit also worked better when we had the one currency, the pound, under the control of two central banks in these islands.

    ReplyDelete